What is Ihram?
“Ihram is not only a kind of dress but a mark of followers slavery and symbol of sacrifice in the path of Allah”
Ihram is the pilgrim’s garment comprised of two pieces of unstitched cloth. One piece is wrapped around the waist which is called izar and the other is around the upper part of the body which is called rida.
Pilgrims wear this like ordinary clothes but intentions of Hajj and Umrah. Ihram is like a uniform for appearing in the court of Allah, the King of the universe and the creator of everything quite plain, informal and free from decoration. Ihram legally means entering the state of visible reality.
Restrictions in the state of Ihram
- In-state of Ihram most important restrictions are as follows:
- Material relationship or its mention.
- Uprooting or cutting of green trees or plants
- Cropping or shaving of hair or clipping of nails.
- Covering of head for men only
- Use of perfume, or scented soaps either on dress or body.
- Wearing any stitched garments.
- Killing, hunting of animals or even dislodging and throwing away lice.
Difference between Ihram for men and women
- Women can wear sewn clothes. That means they don’t have to wear two unstitched garments.
- She can cover her head however it mustn’t be also covering her face.
- Women prohibited from wearing gloves on their hands or covering the face.
- All the other things which are unlawful for the men are also unlawful for a woman.
Miqat is of two categories: chronical and local. The chronical Miqat begins on first of shawwal ad extends till shortly before the day of youmm-al-Nahr. The local Miqat differs according to the countries the pilgrims come from. The several places appointed for the route to Makkah for Ihram are the following.
- Juhfa- for the pilgrims that arrive from Egypt, Syria ., Lebanon and Morocco. It is a place beyond Rabegh. Pilgrims presently begin their Ihram at Rabegh.
- Dhat Iraq is the Miqat for people of Iraq and the East.
- Dhul Hudaifah also known as Abyar Ali is the Miqat for people coming from the direction of Madinah Al-Munawwarah.
- Yalam Lam is the Miqat for the people coming from Yemen.
- Qarn Al- Manazir is the Miqt for the people coming from Najd.
When pilgrim arrives at the Miqat (Ihram point) he is required without obligation to take a bath, trim their facial hair and nails and to shave their pubic hair and their armpits. The pilgrim should ensure that he would not need to do it again in the state of Ihram.
Women at Miqat in a state of menstruation or confinement after childbirth should take a bath and monitor ihram like other pilgrims with the exception of Tawaf around the Kabah as Holy Prophet (peace be upon him)had asked Hazrat Ayesha and Asma to do.